Sunday 6 October 2013

October Feast - Ink Squid Pasta


No limits to cooking: Ink Squid Pasta 

My absolute must use list - Ink squid pasta. I never know how to get it  and thank you, received a complimentary from my childhood friend. I never had it and I have no clue how it taste like. I searched through the net on how the images look like and their calories count. Where is the origin of this pasta or is it infusion from others?
As you know, the Italians know how to give funny names to their dishes and the rest of the world would copy and rightfully made infusion to their culture taste bud. I just feel a big try to this culinary.

Pasta for sure carbs, and of course, we need that to add up energy to our body.  Here are the 



Nutrition Facts

Organic - Squid Ink Pasta

  1.   
Calories322Sodium9 mg
Total Fat3 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated0 gTotal Carbs62 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber0 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars0 g
Trans0 gProtein17 g
Cholesterol0 mg
Vitamin A0%Calcium0%
Vitamin C0%Iron0%


Squid ink pasta, seemed to be a exotic name in American or Asian palates but maybe it is common in Mediterranean tables. In cooking, squid ink benefits boil down largely to taste and presentation enhancements. The ink gives pasta and rice a distinct black coloring and a mild briny taste. Its flavor comes largely from glutamic acid, an amino acid also present in fish sauce and other food additives that adds a savory flavor to dishes. Natural glutamic acid, such as that in squid ink, differs from its synthetic cousin monosodium glutamate in that it does not contain the impurities that your body cannot process, according to the Truth in Labeling Campaign. Therefore, ink adds flavoring without containing anything particularly harmful to you, unless you are allergic to it.


I'm using " Nero di Seppia" from Morelli. The name sounded alike my grandma. I've never seen anything that is black and eatable. I have searched on the net on how to do it and there are actually many ways to cook and present to each individual taste. Bring the pasta to boil around 3 to 6 minutes. That should be fine. Put aside before mix them with the sauce. 



I've decided to have it with shrimps and lemon cream sauce. Using 

2 cloves garlic - crushed. 
3 tbsp olive oil 
6 shrimps -  peeled all,
1 red chilli - sliced 
1 leek  - sliced 
3 tbsp cream 
1 lemon - squeeze the juice.
Instead of white wine, I switched to apple cider. 
But of course, a little dash of salt or you can switched to a tbsp of butter if you want to: 

 Pour olive oil to the heated pan. Stir all ingredients and simmer them about 3-5 minutes. 






Finally, the taste and the feeling of eating it. It is not actually fishy but it had a sea flavor taste. Lemon cream sauce add on to the great feeling to enjoy the pasta.  It looked beautiful and fun to eat too. Oh come on, how often do you get to eat black pasta? 
I know some people are going "Oh yuck, yuck, yucky". If you are an adventurous eater, this is not bad after all. 

Lastly I'm no Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray and very newbie to blogging. I enjoy food and I love to learn many cuisines and great healthy dishes from any countries. 

Buon Appetito. 





No comments:

Post a Comment