Monday 21 October 2013

Kahwin Kahwin Makcik Boyan

Malay wedding in Singapore has become phenomenal among our society. In Singapore, being a multi-racial in melting pot country, it is always very nice to be invited and celebrate a joyous occasion of different cultures. Not forgetting even more memorable if the marriage blended in from different culture background. In my family, these kind of inter marriage do exist. And it started with me, feeling guilty. :-p

Last weekend, once again Haji Latif family clan had a big wedding event for my niece, Juliana Jumaat. It was a joyous occasion but with memory of my loving brother, Allahyarhamu Jumaat Latif  it was such a sentimental moment. We felt the loss but life goes on. Everyone in my family were excited and prepared months ahead. We have discussed among sisters that we will be in orange theme dress. We love to be supportive to each other after all, blood runs in the family. It must be very tedious and drained minded for the bride and groom to go through many obstacles for their preparation. It was also a good bonding moment with my sister in law, together with my nieces and nephews helping out for the preparation. It is not about the money contribution but the time and effort with humbled offer to help one another.

During my parents time, which was during their lifetime in the 1970s to 1980s, when our grandparents or parents did wedding, sacrifice occasions, grandchildren celebration or even shifting of houses, many of our closed relatives showed up. Not only being a couple but they brought their children along. That was when little children would played together and create mischief while our parents prepared for food and drinks to say prayers together. Those were one of the best memories ever that I appreciated very much. I know it will not come again but I believe I should input that to my children and mix well with their cousins and relatives.

Unlike nowadays, the new generation grown up and their children have created a veil or a barrier to do so as they are not feeling comfortable to mingle even so related. Some just turned up and brought their family to show their faces on that occasion and not help out at all. I believe the world is getting better and good lifestyle and some people can be better off than among their relatives but being humbled and put your hands together to help your own family does not cause any money and pride. It was such a shame when some measure with their wealth.

My sad moment to watch the ceremony without my brother around. He was blessed with 5 wonderful children that his sons are able to be his strong generation and marry off their big sister.
The customary of Malay muslim wedding. Taken at Chong Pang community centre. Most of my siblings were there to give support and love to our eldest niece in the family.
 I knew her stage fright feeling and to stand alone in the diaz. Well who doesn't?

A simple wedding gift of $10,000 and mahr presented to the bride.
The beautiful wedding cake done by my sister, Siti Fatimah.
I really appreciate her talent and her kind heart and make all our nephew and nieces close to her. Aside to this, all her cooking is amazing. She has our late mum talent for cooking.
 During her solemnization, a bride is always beautiful and queen of the day.

I was feeling great and happy to meet all my aunts who are my late mom step-sisters. The resemblance of their faces are there and I appreciate their coming even our parents and my siblings have passed.
 This is my closest uncle and wife, my late mom's elder brother. Without the old, there will never be new. Life is short, we just have to be good and mindful with our behaviour towards the elder. Someday we will grow old too.

My siblings celebrating the joyous occasion together. Somehow there are always pain in the ass moments when we quarrel and we put aside bad differences and rejoice in every happy moments. Love them loads. Not forgetting my tolerance with Forest Gump.
 This has always been a tradition of the kompang in welcoming of the newly married. With a great spread of food, most of the guests are happy.

With great blessing from both their parents and all of us, we wish them a new start of journey in life to be together and many blessing moments with nice children ahead.
Mak Andam has always been an important role in a wedding ceremony as she is the main woman to dress the bride well. Nowadays, the trend goes to be a MAKE UP artist. I don't fancy that name.

At the end of the day, I remembered thinking "WOW, Juliana is married now. It doesnt feel like it was too long when she was a baby in her parents arms. Time really fly and understanbly life goes on. Well the most hit questions I've got - directed to me by my cousins of same generation and my uncle and aunts " So... Are you not going to marry again?" Blunt straight to my heart!!! Arrggghh...

When is my turn??? :D In God's Will .. it shall be








My conclusion is no matter what we are, where we are, how successful we have become, when our relatives or closed family have any occasion, we should put our time and humbleness to be there for them and support them throughout. I came from a great big family before and I am always proud to be called Makcik Boyan as it is my parents were from Bawean Island and never ashamed of being that. We are not the pirates of Carribean ;-) need I to say more...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment